O Antiphons Coloring Pages

331

“From December 17 to 23 the liturgy has seven antiphons which begin with O and are addressed before and after the Magnificat to the Lord King of the Advent. They are placed with the great canticle of mercy and might of the Mother of the King and they join Christ and Mary in a most beautiful way. A special rubric introduces these Major Antiphons as the office calls them….

In their magnificent yet simple beauty the Great O’s are the quintessence of the Advent liturgy. Their language bears the weight of God’s eternity and mercy. They are a poignant cry of the soul of the people of Advent; they address God by the most compelling and tender of divine names, and they always end with an intense COME, VENI. All have the same structure, the O of apostrophe, and imperative of appeal. And while the imperatives of the season are often joyous and clamorous, these last appeals to God seem to read as if the iron of our misery is in our very blood. For though even in other parts of the liturgy of the last week our optimism continues and our hope is bright, in the solemn ceremonial of the evening Magnificat we are soberly acknowledging that our dire wretchedness can be remedied only by omnipotent mercifulness.

Only one of the Great O’s is read each day of our approach to Christmas. The effect of this is noticeable, for we definitely feel a growing tensity as each evening passes. We seem to be making a forward step and to be covering infinite distances from eternity to Bethlehem. There is a climatic order in these antiphons. In the first, O Sapientia, we take a backward flight into the recesses of eternity to address Wisdom, the Word of God. In the second, O Adonai, we have leaped from eternity to the time of Moses and the Law of Moses (about 1400 B.C.). In the third, O Radix Jesse, we have come to the time when God was preparing the line of David (about 1100 B.C.). In the fourth, O Clavis David, we have come to the year 1000. In the fifth, O Oriens we see that the line of David is elevated so that the peoples may look on a rising star in the east, and hence in the sixth, O Rex Gentium, we know that He is king of all the world of man. This brings us to the evening before the vigil, and before coming to the town limits of Bethlehem, we salute Him with the last Great O, O Emmanuel, God-with-us. We have traveled a long distance and have waited long, but at Bethlehem we are to find the Little One who is Emmanuel, God of God and Light of Light, and yet God with us.” (He Cometh by William J. McGarry, S.J. –HT to Jennifer Gregory Miller)

Printable O Antiphon coloring pages:

O Sapientia

O Adonai

O Radix Jesse

O Clavis David

O Oriens

O Rex Gentium

Emmanuel

Also check out: Praying the O Antiphons

26 Comments

Amy
    December 19, 2011 at 10:44 am

These are beautiful. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

The Great “O” Antiphons | Family in Feast and Feria
    November 28, 2012 at 9:21 pm

[…] also my post that contains O Antiphons Prayer Companion for Display and Michele Quigley’s O Antiphon Coloring Pages and her Jesse Tree Ornaments, which include the O Antiphons. Share this:EmailPrint This entry was […]

Jessica
    December 17, 2012 at 2:03 pm

These are lovely!! I’ll be printing them for my children today. Thank you!

MelanieB
    December 17, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Beautiful! Thank you, Michele. I’m printing O Sapienta now for us to color. What a great idea. I really needed something simple yet beautiful now that I’m just two weeks from baby being here. These are perfect.

Mary
    December 17, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Just wanted to thank you for these beautiful pages! We’re going to start them today. So generous of you to share them with us!

Shannon
    December 17, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Thanks so much for these! They are truly lovely.

S is for… | Family in Feast and Feria
    February 5, 2014 at 3:27 pm

[…] O Antiphons O Night Divine: O Antiphons WDTPRS: O Antiphons Michele Quigley O Antiphons, including Coloring Pages Chants of each antiphon at Musica Sacra Catholic Culture Fine […]

S is for… » Family in Feast and Feria
    May 20, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Dozono
    November 6, 2014 at 12:18 pm

In portoghese

andrea
    November 22, 2014 at 2:39 am

Tried to print these also and I am having trouble getting these to load. Advent is coming and and these are wonderful! Please advise.

Michele Quigley
      November 22, 2014 at 3:14 am

I’m sorry Andrea but I don’t know why they aren’t working on your end as everything on my end is fine. Try using a different browser perhaps?

Maria
    December 7, 2014 at 11:16 pm

I am having a difficulty also, only with O Adonai. Have tried to download 4 times, but each time the page and my whole computer freezes. No trouble any of the others. I would love to have the complete set, as these are the loveliest I have seen.

It’s O Antiphon time!! | Pulchra Doctrina
    December 16, 2014 at 2:46 pm

[…] Decoration: Red Poinsetta table cloth, Advent wreath, colouring in sheet (from Michele Quigley) […]

Siobain
    December 18, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Michele, I finally printed these out for the first time and my children are really enjoying coloring the beautiful letters in images. I hope you and your family are having a blessed Advent. Thank you!

Susan Pivarunas
    December 20, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Thank you!

tomboysuze
    December 23, 2014 at 9:04 am

Thank you for these lovely coloring pages! I’m sharing them by linking to my FB page.

{bits & pieces} Handmade rolling pin giveaway! ~ Like Mother Like Daughter
    December 12, 2015 at 7:41 am

[…] but today it’s for a different reason), I go into the O Antiphons which begin on the 17th. Michele Quigley has a great coloring series to do during these […]

Observing the O Antiphons |
    December 17, 2015 at 8:48 am

[…] Coloring Pages by Michele Quigley […]

BONUS: O Antiphons
    December 17, 2015 at 11:20 am

[…] your family from other Catholic families: Celebrating the O Antiphons – The Golden Nights O Antiphons Coloring Pages Great “O” Antiphons Prayer […]

Julia Walsh
    December 17, 2015 at 6:12 pm

I am sharing your post & coloring pages with my Scripture students at the high school where I teach. Thank you for this beautiful, prayerful gem! Peace, Sister Julia

KnittingMom
    December 18, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Thank you for sharing this. My family is enjoying this new advent tradition. I am unable to download the Jesse page. Am I doing something wrong? I can get the rest.

Erica Sanchez
    December 21, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Just printed these and they are beautiful, Michele! Using Jennifer Miller’s prayer companion sheets, determined to pray the O Antiphons! Thank you!