Chalice Veils

fabrics2

Like most liturgical vestments, the chalice veil is a mysterious garment. We may be tempted to dismiss it as a kind of decoration. But the chalice and the veil not only have a function during the celebration of Mass, they also remind us of a dignity that is too often veiled.” -Fr. Jerry Pokorsky
Read more at:

The Veil, the Chalice and the Dignity of Man Like the Sacred Vessels at Mass, We Were Made to Receive Christ By Father Jerry Pokorsky

Here are some chalice veils I have had the privilege of making.

Damask chalice veils with iron on embroidered crosses

Chalice-veils-I-made-and-embroidered-by-machine

~

chalice veil Chalice veil

Chalice veil made from leftover vestment fabric. Iron on embroidered cross.

~

Done The burse and chalice veil are smaller than n

Damask chalice veil and burse. Linen pall. Crosses embroidered directly onto the fabric by machine.

If you have any questions feel free to ask in the comments. Please note, I don’t sell or take orders for any altar cloths or vestments.  I have made them for a few local priests who asked but I don’t receive payment although they have told me they pray for me and that is a blessing indeed.

Thanks for stopping by!

Subscribe here to receive my latest content in your
inbox and gain access to my upcoming subscriber only content.

I promise I won't spam you or share your e-mail! You can easily unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit

11 Comments

Julia Fogassy
    February 19, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Beautiful!

Michele Quigley
      February 19, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Thanks Julia!

Barbara
    February 20, 2013 at 9:25 am

I have been asked by a reader of my blog to create for her son a Confessional stole for his ordination this May. The young seminarian would like embroidered crosses on the stole, which have to be embroidered before it is assembled. Do you ever hand embroider your beautiful gold crosses? I don’t have an embroidery machine, and the mother of the young man asked me to do this because of my embroidered scapulars, but I am having my doubts and wondering if I should pay someone to do the crosses. Also, where do you buy your beautiful fabrics?

Michele Quigley
      February 20, 2013 at 9:55 am

Barbara,

I haven’t embroidered any of the crosses by hand but I do know of a resource: http://www.needlenthread.com/.

Perhaps check around and see if anyone near you has an embroidery machine. Mine is an inexpensive one that does the job well and they are becoming more common.

Also you can buy embroidered crosses that can be ironed and sewn on. Liturgical suppliers like La Lame (http://www.lalame.com/html/home.html) have them. All but the crosses in the last picture were done this way.

I am about to make a confessional stole myself as a matter of fact and I can tell you that nice violet fabric can be difficult to source. There are places to order it online but it is pricey. I’ve gone to Philadelphia’s Fabric Row to find fabric as well as working with what the priest supplies when he asks me to make something.

Barbara
        February 21, 2013 at 9:11 am

Thank you for the links. Most appreciated. I am working with a woman, Elizabeth Morgan, who make vestments, mostly for the Episcopal Church, I believe, but she sells Perkins Bros fabrics here in the US. She sells just the width needed for a stole, which is helpful to not buy more pricey fabric than necessary. Her website link is: http://www.churchlinens.com/vestment_fabrics.htm

I purchased her stole sample kit just to try my hand at one before I make the “important” one. I will have to modify my method, as her pattern creates a one-sided (the lining is not the same width as the front and she claims her set-back method for wrapping the front fabric works better with a stole, but at least I will have made one before I have to wing it.

nora henderson
    February 22, 2013 at 9:36 am

What size linen palls do you make and how much are they?

Michele Quigley
      February 22, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Nora,

I don’t sell them, I’ve only made them (for free) for local priests who have asked me. Sorry, don’t know the size as they are now with the priests and I don’t remember.

Alberta Addo
    October 21, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Great. You are doing God’s work. God richly bless you. Please what is the size of the veil. Thank you.

Michele
      October 21, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I cannot say exactly what size they are as I no longer have them but if I recall they were 18″ x 18″ square.

Fr. Salvatore DeStefano
    March 4, 2015 at 1:54 am

Your work is really beautiful!!!