Dining Table Upcycle

dining-table-upcycle

I finally finished my dining room table! It’s beautiful and I’m very happy with it. I took a $20 Craig’s list table and chairs and remade it (with the help of my son Kyle) into a beautiful dining set. The total cost overall was about $100.

For the table, my son Kyle stripped the finish from the top, added an extension piece (from another old table we had in the garage) and crafted matching pieces for the sides of the extension to match the rest of the table. He then finished just the top of the table in a very dark stain. It looks black in the photo but it’s actually a very dark brown. He also fixed the arms on two of the chairs and tightened the legs on all of them.

I painted the chairs and bottom of the table with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in “old white”.  [Special thanks to my friend Amy whose husband Bob was kind enough to spray the paint on the chairs with a paint gun making the whole process go a lot faster!] and used Miss Mustard Seed’s Furniture Wax to finish them. I covered the chairs with “outdoor fabric” from JoAnn Fabrics.

~

Check out the image gallery below for more photos.

Thanks for stopping by!

Subscribe here to receive my latest content in your
inbox and gain access to my upcoming subscriber only content.

I promise I won't spam you or share your e-mail! You can easily unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit

10 Comments

Julia Fogassy
    April 4, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Very cool! I’m jealous. Instead of doing fun things like working on garden or furniture, I am tied to the computer doing taxes. Ugh!

Michele Quigley
      April 4, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Taxes are certainly not fun. I hope you are done soon and working in your garden. It’s been too cold here for gardening but hopefully will warm up soon.

Amber
    April 4, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I’m seriously, thoroughly impressed and you’re making me want to do the same. I love the white and the upholstery you chose – PERFECT~! very shabby chic

Michele Quigley
      April 4, 2013 at 3:58 pm

You could totally do it Amber and I am happy to offer any advice. I can’t recommend the Annie Sloan paint highly enough it’s non toxic and wonderful to work with –same for the wax!

Allison
    April 4, 2013 at 5:07 pm

You could be on that Lara Spencer show I love, Flea Market Flip! You really updated it and made it look richer at the same time, really nice job!

Michele Quigley
      April 4, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Thanks Allison! I’ve never seen that show –I’l have to check it out sometime.

Sara
    April 5, 2013 at 7:39 am

It’s beautiful! I love that Annie Sloan paint. I need to re-do my kitchen table with it.

Michele Quigley
      April 5, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Thanks Sara!

SuzanneG
    April 5, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Beautiful, Michele! I’ve been using a lot of “homemade chalk paint” for some dressers, desks, etc. and have loved how things are turning out. Thinking about doing this with our kitchen table, but am nervous about stripping the top…..time-consuming, etc.

Michele Quigley
      April 5, 2013 at 6:18 pm

The stuff my son had to use was pretty nasty but it was the only option. It wasn’t terribly time consuming but certainly very messy.