Historical dress

A Christmas Bustle Dress

With the holidays upon us I haven’t made any further progress on the colonial dresses but I thought I would share some images of a bustle era dress that I made a few years ago. It was for a little “Yuletide” performance that I was involved in at a local historical house. This was my first venture into making a bustle dress and all things considered I think it turned out quite nice.

I used a poly taffeta –which of course is NOT historically accurate but silk was out of the budget so I made do.


Mind you I had no clue what I was doing but thankfully found some very good resources online. Most especially Jennifer Rosbrugh at Historical Sewing. Her bustle dress posts and bustle day dress class, were invaluable to me!

The patterns I used were from Truly Victorian. The 1873 Polonaise (modified) for the top and the 1870s underskirt for the skirt.

I truly enjoy making historical dresses. They can be challenging but also incredibly fun!


As I was writing this post I realized that I don’t have a good photo of me actually WEARING the dress. I will have to work on that!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *